Skip to main content

Flash Fic: Honorable Work

Galvin sat behind his desk, leaning forward with his fingers steepled as his aide escorted his guest into his office. "War Master Taon pn'Dothra to see you, Colonel."

"Thank you, Issacs. Could you go make sure there's some coffee brewing? I may be needing a cup after this meeting."

"Navy or Irish, Sir?" Issacs asked blandly.

"Irish Navy."

"Very good, Sir." Issacs saluted, then left the office, closing the door behind him. Galvin turned his attention fully to his guest. The Heglorai were considered to be some of the fiercest warriors in this neck of the Galaxy. Averaging almost three meters in height, heavily muscled, thick boned, their homeworld carrying a 1.4G gravity well, few could stand against them in single combat. And of the Heglorai, Clan Dothra held a place of pre-eminence and considerable honor.

Galvin was quite certain he could break the noble over his knee without even batting an eyelash. "What may I do for you today, War Master?" he asked politely.

"I am not here to lodge any further protests," Taon growled. "I am here to demand you turn over the commander of your 3rd Scout Company and his immediate subordinate officers to face charges."

"Charges? Whatever for?"

"Insubordination, dereliction of duty, disobedience of direct orders, and offenses against honor!"

"Those sound rather serious, War Master," Galvin remarked dryly. "Though I seem to recall protests along similar lines regarding my scouts."

"Indeed there have been."

"And similar protests laid against my artillery forces."

"Yes," growled Taon.

"Come to think of it, you've lodged similar complaints about my light infantry, my heavy infantry, my air cavalry, and my engineering units. About the only unit you haven't lodged a protest against is my mess section, and honestly I would have expected that one long before this. So you'll forgive me if I'm somewhat mystified why you're wanting to suddenly press charges."

"Your scouts were in sector 23-473. They were supporting Clan Dothra operations by providing on-site reconnaissance of an enemy encampment. They were directly ordered by Sub-Sentinel do'Avkrew not to open fire on any enemy forces, and particularly no enemy chieftains or their subordinates. Your 'Captain' Rhys, along with three other scouts, opened fire from long range and killed eight enemy chieftains. To make it simple, Colonel Galvin, I want their heads."

Translation, Galvin thought mordantly, somebody wanted to collect a trophy and Rhys got the kill first. "Were the targets of any particular significance?" he asked as he brought up the after-action report.

"Their significance is irrelevant!" Taon snapped. "Your men disobeyed orders and stole the honor which properly belongs to Clan Dothra! It is an offense punishable by death!"

Galvin studied the report closely, then locked eyes on Taon, his expression glacial. "War Master, as one of my distant forebears once said, I can't spare this man. He fights." Taon's mouth opened, only to be cut off abruptly as Galvin continued. "Understand something, War Master. The Terran Confederation didn't wish to officially involve itself in what it considers a matter of internal concern to the Heglorai Autocracy. However, it also didn't want what analysts expected to be a very nasty little war from spilling over onto its territory. Your Autocrat, along with some very sensible suggestions by his ministers, arranged to have us support your efforts. However, those units are not under your direct command. You and your warriors are free to fight whoever gets within arm's reach of you. But it's my units, and other 'volunteer' units like ours, who are doing the bulk of the fighting.

"Based off the terms of the agreement which provided our services to your people, your sub-Sentinel screwed the pooch by giving an order he had no authority to issue. My men were perfectly within their rights to ignore that order. Moreover, it's evident from conversation overheard later that your sub-Sentinel knew it was an illegal order. And he openly admitted that he knew you would support him in his demands. Which makes you as actively stupid as he is."

Taon recoiled at Galvin's tone, stepping back as the human mercenary slowly stood up. Galvin didn't have anything close to Taon's height, but the human seemed to loom ominously over the Heglorai noble. "I read Rhys' report. The individuals he and his men killed were known mercenary officers, proscribed and under sentence of death back in the Confederation. Your enemies apparently got the bright idea to hire them to do for them what my men are doing for you. Fighting the goddamned war! Those officers were legitimate targets and my scouts acted entirely appropriately." Galvin's lip curled slightly in disgust. "Hear and understand this. Your title may be 'War Master,' but your mastery of warfare is precisely dick. Against one of your kind, I'm sure you make a real pretty display of fighting skill. Against one of my men, you'd probably win in a straight hand-to-hand fight because you're so damned big, but I can guarantee you that you wouldn't live long enough to properly celebrate the victory. In actual warfare, my mess section could mop the floor with your guys, and still have enough time and energy to serve up supper. Your Autocrat realizes this. You are not fighting. You are a very flashy piece of camouflage for people who are fighting.

"Now," said Galvin coldly, "get out of my office and out of my sight. And spread the word: the next one of you honor-besotted meat heads tries to think they are calling the shots here, I will personally come down and put a pistol dart through their thick skulls. Do not doubt it."

Taon left the office, trembling a little as he passed by Isaacs. The aide came in carrying a sturdy ceramic coffee mug. "As you requested, Colonel."

"Thank you, Issacs," said Galvin gratefully. He took a long sip and sighed. "Really hits the spot."

(This piece originally appeared on r/humansarespaceorcs)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burning The Bridge

 I just killed my LinkedIn account. Why, you may ask, would I do something like that?  " LinkedIn is indispensable!  It's an important resource!  It helps you network and find jobs and be seen as a serious candidate! "  No, it does none of those things, nor is it any of those things.  Not any more.  I have sat and watched over the last decade as LinkedIn becomes increasingly irrelevant while perversely proclaiming its ever-growing importance.   It has become the manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger effect taken to a ludicrous extreme. I can legitimately say that LinkedIn has never once been directly or indirectly helpful to me in finding work.  It has not done anything helpful for networking that I couldn't have done just through normal freelancing work or a basic web search.  I've gotten hit by a scammer through LinkedIn.  I've had several so-called "recruiters" try to hit me up for roles that I had no interest in, completely f...

Flash Fic Redux - Darkest Before

Langstrom scanned the board intently. The fleet (hah!) of ships which the Erebus Group had assembled were running silent. Periodic comm laser bursts, routed through an elaborate network of buoys scattered between the orbits of Venus and Saturn, would update Command Central with the positions of the fleet. The task groups had their individual targets, each had their own specific battle plans. If this went even halfway right, it would deliver a body blow to the alien invaders which humanity could capitalize on. Give them enough time to gather their strength and deliver the coup de grace . It had been a quarter-century of backbreaking, heartbreaking, and mind-numbing work. All of it. The comm network, the fleet, the battle armor, the enhancement programs to let humans operate in zero-G for extended periods of time without bone or muscle loss (among other "improvements"). Trying to get even a fraction of humanity unified to face the threat, and do it in a way which didn't mov...

Flash Fic Redux - Pale Warriors All

"Your presence is greatly appreciated, Jack," hummed Vudro. "This is not a situation which we have a great deal of experience with. And the potential...complications due to the patient's unique status are more than I care to think about." Hartmeister nodded as he looked through the subject's service file. Several interesting facts stood out. "Vudro, I know it wasn't your doing, but could you tell me what the hell your brass was thinking? This guy shouldn't have been anywhere close to the front lines, let alone that far behind them." "Situational expediency. The mission was hastily assembled, he had the requisite technical skills, so they detached him for temporary duty." "The right man at the wrong time," Hartmeister sighed. "Don't expect miracles, old buddy." "I will not object to a miracle should it occur," Vudro said with a thin smile. ...