The lights were dimmed to allow better contrast on the holo projector image. Frozen in the center was a man, likely in his prime, a butterfly-taped cut above his right eyebrow, the Colonial Army fatigues rumpled and stained in spots, the unit patch and planetary flash above it singed along the edges and starting to come away from the sleeve. His expression was grim and slightly mournful. A tap on the console brought the image to life as the man began to speak in a baritone voice which had roughened with countless shouted orders and too much smoke inhaled over the course of battle.
"I know this isn't how we wanted to end up, Kile," he said slowly, clearly struggling to find the right words and making himself say them when he'd found them. "We both knew this was part and parcel of the uniform. Ninety-nine percent boredom was what we made our lives within. And now, it's the one percent part that's going to close it out. Least for me."
He paused as a voice outside the camera's field of view called to him. "Captain Urquhart, we've rigged the approaches and collapsed every side tunnel. Boys are dug in, for what it may be worth."
Urquhart looked off to his right. "Good work, Top. I'll be along in a second. Make sure the troops have their weapons set for semi-auto. And tell them to give their bayonets a pass or two over a whetstone, if they haven't already. They're gonna be using them sooner than they think." He turned back to the camera, a sad smile coming over his face. "You're probably gonna hear a lot of...well, bullshit regarding what's about to happen here. We're down about half our strength, least on paper. We've had to redistribute ammo. There's about forty rounds per soldier. We've used up a lot of our demo trying to cut off any approaches to the main Hrunlo settlement. Anything left, we've made improvised claymores. It's not much, but it's the best we can do. We promised the Hrunlo protection against the Ayose. I'm pretty sure we're going to fail. But by damn, the sonsabitches will know they've been punched first."
There was a deep breath as Urquhart closed his eyes, steeling himself for what would probably be his last words. "Kile, I'm sorry I couldn't get my guys or myself out of this mess. And I'm sorry I'm not going to be around for the kiddo. I'm sorry I won't be there to make all the mistakes I could have, and see how they turn out in spite of them. I know you'll do good. You put up with me easily enough, so half-me should be a breeze." He glanced off to the side again, muffled calls echoing in the background, then back at the camera. "If you're seeing this, that means you know I couldn't pull it off. Never for lack of trying. Just crapped out this time. Live well, baby."
The image froze. Kiley Urquhart glanced over at her daughter. "That was the last message your father made before the Siege of Dukru-Phan. Fifteen years, and it still stings."
Tomyris Urquhart looked back at her mother. "Did Dad win?"
"He did what he set out to do," Kiley replied. "He gave it his all to fulfill his duty. And he died in the doing. And that is why the Hrunlo were able to send this back. It took them all this time to find it, but they sent it right back here. And I figured you deserved to watch it with me when I played it for the first time." She ruffled Tomyris' hair.
"I wish I could have had him here with us," Tomyris said softly.
"Me too, baby," Kiley replied as she hugged her daughter.
(This piece originally appeared on r/humansarespaceorcs)
Comments
Post a Comment
If you liked a piece, let me know. If you didn't like a piece, also let me know. If you want to be sending me death threats, let me know so I can properly forward them to the cops.