Skip to main content

Flash Fic: Respects

 Praetor Vsi fought hard to keep his reaction in check as he saw the human making his way along the receiving line. It wasn't unusual, now, to see humans out and about on the homeworld. But fleet admirals were a vanishingly rare occurrence. And certainly not the fleet admiral who'd ultimately crushed the Hexanre Armada and ended the war between Hexan and Terra.

Vsi was mildly surprised when Admiral Freitag produced a small wooden case and withdrew a dagger with a delicate chain coiled around the hilt and cross-guard, presenting it reverently to the widow of Admiral Kqar. It surprised him more when Freitag recited the formal Oath of Succor, a promise made to ensure that the family of a fallen warrior would not lack for aid of any sort if the need arose. The Widow Kqar had received six other such blades from various Hexanre officers so far. Freitag's contribution was noticeably different: a slender near-triangular blade with a ridged hilt and flattened conical butt. The fact the widow had accepted it, and thanked Freitag loud enough to reach Vsi's ears, was almost beyond belief.

The funeral ceremony was rich with muted pageantry. Hexanre funerals were usually quiet and somber affairs, far different than the hymns and eulogies Vsi knew were common for human funerals. Once the ceremony was over, the temple emptied out. The attendees made their way down a short avenue to an open garden. Food and drink were set up on tables at one side, and the attendees began to mingle and talk. Plenty spoke to the Widow Kqar. Vsi made it a point to approach Freitag.

"Admiral Freitag, this is..." Vsi paused, trying to find the diplomatic phrase which best covered his feelings.

Freitag simply smiled broadly at Vsi. "Inexplicable? Bizarre? Praetor, there's very little I haven't heard muttered or whispered since I stepped off the shuttle and without close air support."

"I am legitimately curious what moved you to attend this funeral, Admiral."

"Because my friend died," Freitag quietly. "I couldn't very well fail to pay my respects."

"Your friend?" Vsi's expression was deeply skeptical. "Forgive me, Admiral, but it doesn't seem plausible that you and Admiral Kqar would become friends."

"Admittedly, I wouldn't have been the first to believe it, either. But after the war ended, he started a correspondence with me, and from there, things just fell into place." Freitag shook his head slowly in wonder. "Don't mistake me, Praetor, Kqar was a no-shit monster in the field. He was disciplined, innovative, and cold blooded at every level. Tactically, strategically, operationally, I wasn't near as scared of any of your other officers as I was of him. Kqar made me work for every millimeter whenever we faced off and I damn near died from exhaustion after some of those fights."

Vsi's eyes widened slowly. Caiaphus Freitag, the human fleet commander the Hexanre Armada had called "The Glacier" for his relentless assaults and adamantine refusal to turn away when he sensed victory. The man who'd destroyed more tonnage in three years of bloody warfare than the Hexane had ever produced since achieving spaceflight. And he had been afraid of Kqar?!

Freitag saw Vsi's expression and chuckled softly. "Yeah. We called Kqar 'Juggernaut' back during the war. He was just hell on wheels. The funny thing is that after it was all over, we got into a friendly argument about who'd been the better commander. I swore up and down he had me beat in every way. He countered with a stack of those ethical calculus proofs your people produce that proved I was better. We learned a lot about each other during that war." He shrugged a little. "Guess we were bound to become friends after that." 

(This piece originally appeared on r/humansarespaceorcs)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burning The Bridge

 I just killed my LinkedIn account. Why, you may ask, would I do something like that?  " LinkedIn is indispensable!  It's an important resource!  It helps you network and find jobs and be seen as a serious candidate! "  No, it does none of those things, nor is it any of those things.  Not any more.  I have sat and watched over the last decade as LinkedIn becomes increasingly irrelevant while perversely proclaiming its ever-growing importance.   It has become the manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger effect taken to a ludicrous extreme. I can legitimately say that LinkedIn has never once been directly or indirectly helpful to me in finding work.  It has not done anything helpful for networking that I couldn't have done just through normal freelancing work or a basic web search.  I've gotten hit by a scammer through LinkedIn.  I've had several so-called "recruiters" try to hit me up for roles that I had no interest in, completely f...

Flash Fic Redux - Darkest Before

Langstrom scanned the board intently. The fleet (hah!) of ships which the Erebus Group had assembled were running silent. Periodic comm laser bursts, routed through an elaborate network of buoys scattered between the orbits of Venus and Saturn, would update Command Central with the positions of the fleet. The task groups had their individual targets, each had their own specific battle plans. If this went even halfway right, it would deliver a body blow to the alien invaders which humanity could capitalize on. Give them enough time to gather their strength and deliver the coup de grace . It had been a quarter-century of backbreaking, heartbreaking, and mind-numbing work. All of it. The comm network, the fleet, the battle armor, the enhancement programs to let humans operate in zero-G for extended periods of time without bone or muscle loss (among other "improvements"). Trying to get even a fraction of humanity unified to face the threat, and do it in a way which didn't mov...

Flash Fic Redux - Pale Warriors All

"Your presence is greatly appreciated, Jack," hummed Vudro. "This is not a situation which we have a great deal of experience with. And the potential...complications due to the patient's unique status are more than I care to think about." Hartmeister nodded as he looked through the subject's service file. Several interesting facts stood out. "Vudro, I know it wasn't your doing, but could you tell me what the hell your brass was thinking? This guy shouldn't have been anywhere close to the front lines, let alone that far behind them." "Situational expediency. The mission was hastily assembled, he had the requisite technical skills, so they detached him for temporary duty." "The right man at the wrong time," Hartmeister sighed. "Don't expect miracles, old buddy." "I will not object to a miracle should it occur," Vudro said with a thin smile. ...