Skip to main content

Flash Fic: Tea & Diplomacy

Rogni passed a hand over the admittance sensor, passing through the door into his superior's office. "You wished to see me, Consul?"

"Indeed I did," Suirja replied amiably. "You're not in trouble. But I did want to have a professional improvement discussion with you."

Lowering himself into the chair, Rogni shifted a little nervously. "Something wrong, Consul?"

Suirja gave the young staffer a lopsided smile. "As a general rule, members of the Diplomatic Service do not use the phrases, 'completely inexplicable' or 'patently false allegations' in foreign power analysis papers when the Watchers went to such efforts to obtain useful intelligence. They tend to be...snippy in inter-departmental memos."

"I understand it seems unprofessional, Consul, but it's the truth! I understand why the Terran Systems Alliance trades with the Corenhai Federation easily enough. We share a number of similar policy positions, we each have robust merchant marine fleets which regularly interact with each other, and there are a number of raw materials and manufactured goods we both find worth trading."

"Straight out of the analysis," Suirja said with a nod.

"But there is no possible way they are also trading with the Tu-Guai Empire! The Tu-Guai have standing orders to detain and destroy any non-Imperial flagged vessel, and to execute all sophonts found aboard!" A stubborn look came over Rogni's face. "The Watchers have to be getting fed bad intelligence!"

Smiling a little wider, Suirja pressed a button, summoning the steward with the afternoon tea. He waited until the steward left before gesturing to the steaming cups. Rogni looked at the cup nearest him with suspicion, then slowly lifted it to his mouth and sipped. His eyes widened in shock.

"This is Tu-Guai bezoar tea! This is impossible to find outside of the Empire or their embassies!"

"Not impossible, clearly, if you're enjoying a cup right at this moment," Suirja countered with another one of those lopsided smiles. "I knew you were familiar with it. And I know you've been trying to get a trade concession from the Empire for a couple years now. You may thank Assistant Deputy Undersecretary Aldo McCrae of the Systems Alliance for this unexpected delicacy."

"But how?!"

"I finally asked him a few weeks ago. He'd been showing us hints for years that things were not quite as they seemed. This morning, he 'read in' myself and Tekfroa, and now, I'm doing the same for you."

Rogni blinked in confusion. Officially the trade attaché to the Federation consulate, Tekfroa was the head of intelligence operations for the Almerik Sector, the one point where the Federation shared a border with both the Systems Alliance and the Empire. And the consulate was in Terran space.

Suirja sipped his own tea. "The Terrans have been playing a very long game. Once they were aware of the Tu-Guai border and the standing orders about outsiders, the Terrans spent two decades just listening to Tu-Guai media broadcasts. They analyzed Imperial social trends from what they could pick up in the ether. They then spent the next three decades floating what they called 'bottles' across the border. Unmanned, unpowered, little more than airtight cargo pods. Filled with 'little things' which their ongoing analysis suggested the Tu-Guai population was interested in obtaining. Along with a few other 'little things' like hyperband comm kits."

"The Empire would never allow it!" protested Rogni.

"Ahhh, but they did. Not without a lot of grumbling and some strong growling. But it's a trickle which has worn a breach in the Tu-Guai wall. Officially, the borders are still closed and outside ships are still forbidden from entering. Unpowered cargo pods on ballistic courses which 'just happen' to cross over, however, are perfectly fine."

"That long?!" Rogni asked in disbelief. Suirja simply took another sip of tea. 

(This piece originally appeared in r/humansarespaceorcs)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Burning The Bridge

 I just killed my LinkedIn account. Why, you may ask, would I do something like that?  " LinkedIn is indispensable!  It's an important resource!  It helps you network and find jobs and be seen as a serious candidate! "  No, it does none of those things, nor is it any of those things.  Not any more.  I have sat and watched over the last decade as LinkedIn becomes increasingly irrelevant while perversely proclaiming its ever-growing importance.   It has become the manifestation of the Dunning-Kruger effect taken to a ludicrous extreme. I can legitimately say that LinkedIn has never once been directly or indirectly helpful to me in finding work.  It has not done anything helpful for networking that I couldn't have done just through normal freelancing work or a basic web search.  I've gotten hit by a scammer through LinkedIn.  I've had several so-called "recruiters" try to hit me up for roles that I had no interest in, completely f...

Flash Fic Redux - Darkest Before

Langstrom scanned the board intently. The fleet (hah!) of ships which the Erebus Group had assembled were running silent. Periodic comm laser bursts, routed through an elaborate network of buoys scattered between the orbits of Venus and Saturn, would update Command Central with the positions of the fleet. The task groups had their individual targets, each had their own specific battle plans. If this went even halfway right, it would deliver a body blow to the alien invaders which humanity could capitalize on. Give them enough time to gather their strength and deliver the coup de grace . It had been a quarter-century of backbreaking, heartbreaking, and mind-numbing work. All of it. The comm network, the fleet, the battle armor, the enhancement programs to let humans operate in zero-G for extended periods of time without bone or muscle loss (among other "improvements"). Trying to get even a fraction of humanity unified to face the threat, and do it in a way which didn't mov...

Flash Fic Redux - Pale Warriors All

"Your presence is greatly appreciated, Jack," hummed Vudro. "This is not a situation which we have a great deal of experience with. And the potential...complications due to the patient's unique status are more than I care to think about." Hartmeister nodded as he looked through the subject's service file. Several interesting facts stood out. "Vudro, I know it wasn't your doing, but could you tell me what the hell your brass was thinking? This guy shouldn't have been anywhere close to the front lines, let alone that far behind them." "Situational expediency. The mission was hastily assembled, he had the requisite technical skills, so they detached him for temporary duty." "The right man at the wrong time," Hartmeister sighed. "Don't expect miracles, old buddy." "I will not object to a miracle should it occur," Vudro said with a thin smile. ...